Everyone has experienced at least one headache, or throbbing pain in one or both sides of the head, during their lifetimes. There are several types of headaches, and these can be caused by a variety of factors. At The Health Edge Medical and Wellness Center, we offer comprehensive, personalized treatment for headaches to help you get back to your normal activities without head pain.
The Health Edge Group is located in North Charleston, South Carolina. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and have your headaches expertly diagnosed and treated.
WHAT ARE HEADACHES?
A headache is a general term for a dull throbbing, sharp pain or ache in one or multiple regions of the head, and they can last anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Headaches typically do not form without a cause, and while these causes are not always a cause for medical concern, establishing the triggers can help treat your pain at the source and can help provide an effective long-term solution.
Headaches are typically classified into a few different groups:
- Cluster: Considered to be one of the most painful types of headache, which occur in cycles or patterns.
- Migraine: These cause intense throbbing or pain and can also present nausea, sensitivity to light, and other symptoms.
- Tension: Tend to be the most common and feel as though there is a tight band around your head.
Knowing the type of headache that you are suffering from can help provide lasting relief from your symptoms and help determine the best course of treatment to keep you active and pain-free.
WHAT CAUSES HEADACHES?
Some of the most common triggers of headaches are:
- Certain foods
- Changes in sleep patterns or lack of sleep
- Poor posture
- Chronic stress
- Skipped meals throughout the day
- Pinched nerves in the neck or back
- Underlying medical conditions
Through our advanced diagnostics and testing at The Health Edge Group, we can help determine the cause of your headaches and provide personalized, comprehensive care to help keep you functioning without the setbacks of sudden, long-lasting headaches.
HOW ARE HEADACHES TREATED?
While pain relievers and other over-the-counter methods may provide temporary relief of your symptoms, these do not treat your headaches at the source. At The Health Edge Group, we offer a wide range of treatment options including:
- Chiropractic Care: Through gentle, strategic manipulations of your spine, receiving chiropractic care can help tension headaches and other types that originate from the neck.
- Trigger Point Therapy: When there are knots of muscle along the neck and back that cannot relax, tension and other head pain can occur as a result. Small injections of medicated solution into these areas can help ease the muscles and alleviate the headaches.
- Spinal Decompression: It is proven that about 70 percent of headaches originate from compressed nerves at the base of the skull and neck region. These are caused by tight muscles and can be alleviated with this comfortable, non-invasive therapy. Headaches as a result of degenerative disc disorders can also directly benefit from this technique.
- Other Treatment Options: We also offer painless, non-invasive alternative therapies that block the nerve ganglion that are responsible for headaches.
Contact The Health Edge Group today to schedule a consultation with our medical team and have your recurring headaches professionally diagnosed and treated so you can enjoy your normal activities without worrying about sudden, painful headaches.